Thursday, June 22, 2006

Happy Anniversary - 20 Years

Yesterday, Janae and I celebrated our 20 year wedding anniversary. My was it ever romantic. We spent a great time at an exotic resort, eating gourmet food, getting pampered at the spa, having a wonderful time together. Wake up fool! That was what was supposed to happen. Oh yeah. Instead of a romantic get away for two, I'm in the middle of a romantic get-away for 137. Not that I would call this romantic.

I spent the day sweltering in the heat. I learned how to shoot a grenade machine gun. While it was not as fun as spending the day with Janae, it was still pretty cool. This thing can shoot hundreds of grenades a minute if you need it to. It's called a crew served weapon because it requires 2-3 people to handle it, put it together, carry it, etc. After spending all morning and part of the afternoon in a hot, muggy tent, I was looking forward to the afternoon off. That was not to be.

Instead, I spent it processing a soldier for what we call in the military, an Article 15. It's sort of like a trial but done in front of the commander for minor offenses. The commander hears testimony or reviews written statements from witnesses, questions the offending soldier, then decides on a punishment. It's not criminal so it doesn't go an any record or anything. It's just a way of handling minor offenses in the most effective way possible.

This soldier was the one I mentioned earlier, the one terrified about going to Afghanistan. There's actually more to it but since anyone can read this, I don't want to get too personal. Suffice it to say, he was supposed to be somewhere but disobeyed the order and was somewhere else and went there without telling anyone. This had happened so many times that the commander finally resorted to this measure. It ended up being a positive experience for all involved.

So that was my romantic day.

Then came the romantic dinner. For our anniversary dinner, Janae and the boys went to lunch in Provo. They got the buffet at Ottavios. It was the pizza buffet so Braxton was in heaven. My romantic dinner was, ooh, words cannot describe the delicacies I partook of. I'll try though.

First, imagine a stale, hard taco bowl. Then fill it with finely ground, greasy taco meat. Then came the choice of overcooked, slimy broccoli or overcooked slimy peas. Ooh tough choice. I chose neither. Then an endless supply of that lucious bagged iceburg lettuce. Mmmm. My mouth is watering at the thought. Add to that the choice of either Ranch, 1,000 Island or French dressing (there's some comfort in constants - the dressings never change) and some canned fruit. Are you jealous? Oh, I forgot to mention, the sour cream in little packets - like catchup packets, only sour cream. For dessert, I had a cup of chocolate ice cream. I had the privilege of scraping off the top sticky film on the ice cream. (I think it had melted and was then refrozen.) Yum, yum.

To add a little spice to the dinner, I asked my boss if he wanted to get a little romantic in honor of my anniversary - I was kidding of course. Next thing I knew, his combat boot was rubbing up and down my leg. I still get the tingles just thinking about it - Not!!

I did get to talk to Janae and the boys after dinner so that was nice. They're doing well. Janae is so grateful that the boys are doing well. They're doing their jobs when asked and even asking what jobs they can do. They're all working hard and being the great young men that they are.

Can I just say what a wonderful woman I married. For 20 years she's put up with my bull***t and hasn't complained too much. She has stuck by me and supported me in all the things I've accomplished. I truly married above my status in life and she has always lifted me higher than I could have reached on my own. She is an amazing woman. She knows just what needs to be done and when. She keeps our family organized. She's the best teacher ever. Not just in teaching school, but in working with the boys. I'm constantly amazed at how she is able to see their needs and meet them. She has the patience of a saint, I mean, she is a saint. I don't know too many people who would be able to do the things she does.

Now with this deployment, let me tell you about some of the other wives and show you what I mean. One wife was so angry when her husband told her he was being deployed that she didn't talk to him for a week. Janae has never been happy with this, but has always supported me. She's never once complained but has been positive. Some wives are calling their husbands constantly with problems. Janae asks me about things, but she hasn't burdened me with things that are outside of my control. She sees a problem and takes care of it. I know, we've only been gone 2 weeks, but I know she'll continue to be that way. Other wives cried and cried and became basket cases. Not Janae. I know she's cried and will continue to cry, but she makes sure that boys don't see as she doesn't want to add to their stress.

One of the women in the neighborhood really complemented her. While other women are saying things like, "I don't know how you'll handle this." or "I couldn't do it." or "How are you going to get by without him." and other things like that, one smart woman said, "If anyone can do it, it's you."' She really appreciated that complement and of course it's true. She is a remarkable woman. And I got her to marry me. What a lucky sap I am.

There's a song by Josh Groban that really says how I feel. I wish I'd figured out how to add music to this blog but don't have the time so let me just share the words. This is my public declaration of my love for my wife.

"You Raise Me Up"
Josh Groban
From the album Closer

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary;
When troubles come and my heart burdened be;
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence,
Until you come and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

Happy Anniversary Janae.

I love you!!

Bob

No comments: