Friday, June 09, 2006

Today's the day!


The day to leave for Shelby has finally arrived. I can't believe it. I only hope the deployment goes this fast. As you can imagine, the last few days have been a flurry of activity. We had to have our stuff packed and on the truck two days ago, but of course, that didn't mean that I had everything ready to go. Even after I got my stuff "packed" I kept finding things that I needed to take. It's a good thing I've got a ruck-sack and my back-pack as I've been able to cram everything into that.

The three days we've spent at Camp Williams have been busy, but not so busy that we weren't able to leave a decent time each day. We spent the time becoming familiar with our weapons - the M-4 and the M-9. We also had to make sure our gas masks fit. Here's a picture of me going through the testing to make sure mine fit and was air tight. And yes, there as claustrophbic as they appear. I would hate to have to wear one in the heat for any extended period of time.

Yesterday, Janae came out with me and we sat through several hours of briefings. We got everything from legal issues to health insurance. The common consensus was, "why are we getting the health insurance briefing the day before we leave?" Leave it to the military.

As this day has approached, it's been with a degree of excitement and trepidation. Now, this morning at 6:10 a.m., I just want it to start so that we can get it over with. I'm going to call home tonight and say excitedly that "we've made it through the first day." Can't wait until I can say we've made it through the first month, the first year and the first (and hopefully the last) deployment.

I should have done this last night, but had so many things to do so I'm sorry that this is not very long, but then, maybe that's a good thing. I'll try to remember the funny things that happen, the poignant things and be sure and share them.

Love to all.

Bob

No comments: