Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Most Wonderful Gift


For my birthday I got so many cards from so many friends and family. I can’t tell you how much I appreciated them. I’ve said it before but thanks to my exceptional wife who put it all together.

Well the day after my birthday (OK, the box actually came on my birthday but I was talking to Janae on the phone and didn’t get to the post office before it closed to pick it up) I got a box from certain friends in my ward. These are the kind of friends who crash your family reunion vacation at Disneyland. These are the kind of friends who invade your house and wait outside the bathroom with snowballs in hand. They’re also the kind of friends who stuff leaves down your shirt and elsewhere. My goodness, what kind of friends are these you ask? The best. Olin and DeAnna have been the best neighbors and best friends ever since we moved into the ward. They’re the kind of friends who think about others first and are always finding ways to serve. And that’s just what DeAnna did. She put her creative brain to work and came up with the very best birthday gift.

When I opened up the box I found a bag of her famous caramels, a bag of hand-dipped pretzels, a bag of pistachios, a card and a video that said Happy Birthday on the front. I knew it was something they had made but wasn’t sure exactly what I’d find on it.

Well, like I said, it was the very best birthday present. She video taped so many of my friends and family at church wishing me a Happy Birthday. It was so great to see so many of you. Thank you for your smiles and well wishes. It made me so homesick for everyone. Then “I” walked home from church. It was fun to see that things haven’t changed a bit. Then “I” walked in my front door and got to see my family and spend a few minutes with them. Some things haven’t changed a bit but others have. Braxton is now almost as tall as Janae. I hadn’t even thought about the fact that he would probably be getting as tall, if not taller than her while I was gone but it was a pleasant surprise to see.

DeAnna had her kids say hello and I got a “hug” from them which was great. They made me laugh as they talked about how much they missed me. Well you guys, I miss you from the North Pole to the South Pole as well. “Hey girls, Wanna piece of candy?” She signed off wishing me Happy Birthday.

It was so great to be able to see family and friends on (or near) my birthday. I can’t tell you DeAnna how much that meant to me. And thanks to Olin for putting together so that it could be sent. You guys really are wonderful friends!! I love you guys!!

2 comments:

DeAnna said...

The Best Thank You.....

I had tears streaming down my face reading that thank you. That is the thing about Bob and Janae. They sure know how to write great thank you's. We love you back!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog and learning about your life in Afganistan. Its great to hear that you have so many people who love and support you - I pray that all of our service men and women have friends and family like you do. Happy Belated Birthday! from a fellow churchmember and anonymous lurker in Central Florida