Friday, September 15, 2006

George Washington

In a recent letter, my mother-in-law, Donna Durfee, sent me this quote. I like it as it really expresses the situation I, we, find ourselves in:

“You took the good things for granted -- now you must earn them again. For every right that you cherish, you have a duty that you must fulfill. For every hope that you entertain, you have a task that you must perform. For every good that you wish to preserve, you will have to sacrifice your comfort and ease. There is nothing for nothing any longer.” George Washington

So what are you taking for granted?

1 comment:

Adam said...

I was heartned by the G.W. quote. I love reading about early American history. One of my favorite founding fathers was actually a wife and mother. Abigail Adams (wife to John) wrote to her son John Quincy saying,

"These are the times in which a genius would wish to live. It is not in the still calm of life, or the repose of a pacific station, that great characters are formed."

She contiues.

"Great necessities call out great virtues. When a mind is raised, and animated by scenes that engage the heart, then those qualities which would otherwise lay dormant, wake into life and form the character of the hero and the statesman."

I know that these ideas are exemplified by you folks over there. Good job folks...shit hot! Does that navy term translate well?
(sorry about my spelling)