Saturday, April 07, 2007

Happy Easter

Once again, today is just another work day and at times it feels like just another day. However today is Easter Sunday and I’ve tried to make it a little bit different. I read in the New Testament this morning about Christ’s suffering in Gethsemane, his betrayal, his trial, crucifixion and resurrection. I haven’t read those words in a long time so it was a wonderful experience. I had downloaded several talks from the Ensign from President Hinckley and others on the atonement and resurrection and I read them at lunch. What a wonderful spirit that brought to my day.

As I’ve thought about what this day means I can only express gratitude to my Savior for his atoning sacrifice. To know that I can repent and be forgiven of my sins is an awe inspiring thing. Lately I’ve had the chance to reflect on decisions I’ve made over my life. Some have been good ones, even great ones, others have been less noble, less praiseworthy and of course down-right sinful. And it’s these latter decisions that I’m so grateful for the process of repentance and forgiveness.

This morning I was thinking about what it must have been like for Mary, weeping in the garden, fully believing that her Lord and Savior was gone and then to come to the sudden realization that He lived. What joy must have filled her heart? I thought of the reunion of the Father and the Son. I thought of the reunion I had with my own father when I returned from my mission and the joy I felt. I imagine the joy I will feel at seeing my sons when I return from this deployment. And I think that the joy that was felt then and will be felt in a few months will pale in comparison to the joy the Father felt at the triumphant return of His Son.

I’m sure there’s so much more I could write but I’ll leave those thoughts for myself. Let me say just once again how grateful I am to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. How grateful I am for this day and for all it represents.

The KBR guys in the chow hall once again rose to the occasion. The chow hall was all decked out in festive decorations; streamers, Easter Bunnies, eggs, etc. hanging from the ceiling. Someone had dyed hard boiled eggs and had them on the tables. One of our guys decided he wanted “deviled eggs” so tried to make his own. I don’t think he was too successful. For dinner there was a side of beef, roast turkey, glazed ham and Cornish game hens. Garlic mashed potatoes, yams, salad, several cakes and ice cream rounded out the dinner. I have to admit our KBR guys here really make an effort to make the holidays special.

No comments: