Sunday, January 21, 2007

A Real Super Hero

I’ve been reading this last week about a man who truly could be considered a Super Hero. For those of you who have been following the exploits of Superman, Wonder Woman and soon to be seen, Batman, you know I’ve been having fun taking my action figures with me on various missions. Well, as we all know, they’re fictional characters no matter how much we would like to believe otherwise. But there are those men and women who have lived who are truly “super” men and “wonder” women.

Captain Moroni was just such a man. For my non-LDS readers, I’d be happy to send you the book, or arrange to send you the book that talks about Captain Moroni and his story.

Captain Moroni was a great military leader. Last week I read these words written about him, “Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.” It was also said that he was a “strong and mighty man” “a man of perfect understanding” a “man who did not delight in bloodshed” a “man whose soul did joy in liberty and the freedom of his country.”

As I was reading about him last week I thought about the men with whom I serve and how each, in their own way are like Captain Moroni. And I wondered if I were like him in some small way. I’d like to think that I am. Certainly I don’t cause “the very powers of hell” to shake but I’m trying.

And then it happened. One of the Lord’s tender mercies for which I am so grateful and so indebted to Him for sending to me. I got a box from my wife.

In the box were lots of thoughtful, fun, fattening things that she had sent me. But in it was something from one of the families in my ward. A true Super Hero.

Lisa Radmall has been reading my blog and saw the pictures I’d posted of Superman. She had recently listened to a BYU Education Week talk by John Bytheway on the war chapters in the Book of Mormon. I know what talk she was referring to since we had listened to part of that talk in a church meeting right after we got here but I was never able to hear the whole thing. I was excited to see that she included a copy of the talk! She said when she listened to the talk she thought of me and the other men who are here serving.

She shared with me the story of Captain Moroni raising the Title of Liberty and the parallels between that conflict and the one I’m currently engaged in. And she gave me my new Super Hero. Captain Moroni.

Some might say it was coincidence that I’d get Captain Moroni the same week that I had just read about him but I don’t think so. I think the Lord knew exactly what He was doing and for that I’m grateful.

As I held Captain Moroni and his Title of Liberty in my hand, after reading her letter, I felt a tremendous sense of gratitude to Lisa for taking the time to send him to me. I was thankful to the Lord for inspiring her to remind me what a true hero is. Not someone who can leap over tall buildings in a single bound or stop bullets with her bracelets, but someone who loves the Lord, who does his best every day to serve his country, his family and his God.

So Lisa, thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulness. Captain Moroni will have a place of honor in my “hall” of Super Heroes.

No comments: